2026年9月15日星期二

Favourite and Least Favourite Math Teachers

When I think about my favourite math teacher, I think about my middle school math teacher. I went to school in China, where a very important graduation exam takes place at the end of Grade 9. Because of this, math classes were often very teacher-centred. Teachers usually explained how to solve problems, students took notes and practiced, and the main goal was to get good grades. Students had little time to ask questions or explore ideas. My teacher was different. Sometimes, when he had the chance, he would stop the math lesson and tell us stories from Chinese history or even introduce us to The Book of Songs. Our class had around 60 students, so inquiry-based learning was not always easy, and our homeroom teacher often reminded him that exam results were the most important thing. However, he still brought these things into our classroom. I really enjoyed these moments because he helped me see that mathematics was connected to history, culture, and the world around us. More importantly, he made me curious about learning.

My least favourite math teacher was probably my father. He has a background in science and finance and has always loved mathematics. He enjoyed solving difficult problems and often helped me with my homework. However, he would sometimes say, “How can you not know this? It’s so easy.” Although he probably didn't mean to discourage me, these comments often made me feel I wasn't good at math. I started comparing myself with him and thinking that I was simply not smart enough. It wasn't until I studied mathematics at university that I realized I was capable of learning math; sometimes I just needed more time and a different way of understanding it.

These two experiences have shaped the kind of math teacher I want to become. I do not think every student needs to be “good at math” or get a high grade. I want my students to feel comfortable trying, making mistakes, and learning from them. A wrong answer does not mean a student is not capable. As teachers, we should guide students rather than judge them, and help them develop ways to think and solve problems. My favourite teacher taught me that math can connect us to the wider world, while my father taught me how easily a teacher’s words can affect a student’s confidence. I want to carry both lessons with me as I take up the mantle of a teacher.

没有评论:

发表评论

Reflection on the Presentation.

Overall, I think our presentation went really well. Everyone in our group did a great job with the parts we had planned. I introduced the or...